Grilled Caprese Chicken
- 2 chicken breast halves, pounded between plastic wrap to an even thickness
- juice of half a lemon
- good olive oil
- 1/3 packet Good Seasons Italian Dressing mix (dry)
- 1 vine ripe medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/2 c. artichoke hearts (optional)
- about 6 fresh basil leaves, chiffonaded
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- 2 slices mozzarella
- Throw breasts in bowl or ziploc bag. Add lemon juice, italian dressing mix and a glug or two of olive oil. Mix to evenly coat chicken. Preheat grill.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato, artichoke hearts, basil, garlic, a splash of balsamic vinegar and a splash of olive oil, a bit of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Turn grill down to medium high. Throw breasts on and cook, about 6 minutes on each side. If you have a hard time judging when chicken is done, please for the love of God, get a meat thermometer. I can't think of any sauce, condiment or magic potion that can cover up the sin of overcooked chicken breast.
- When the breasts are just about done, top each with a slice of mozzarella and allow the cheese to melt for a few moments.
- Remove chicken from grill and let rest for a minute or two (also important for juicy meat). Top with a few heaping spoonfuls of tomato mixture. Enjoy the last taste of summer!