Well anyway, let's go ahead and have virtual seconds-- this was the Christmas night menu at our house:
-Salad (Romaine, Roquefort, pecans and fuji apples with balsamic vinaigrette)
-Duck breast with a port-cherry sauce (recipe below)
-Sweet potatoes roasted with sage
-Lemony haricot vert with shallots
-Creme de menthe brownies
Duck Breast with Port-Cherry Sauce
Adapted from epicurious.com
- 1 cup frozen dark sweet cherries, thawed, halved
- 1 cup chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1 cup beef stock or canned beef broth
- 1/2 cup ruby Port
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 4 6-ounce duck breast halves
- Combine first five ingredients in small sauce pan over medium high heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally until reduced and syrupy, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. High heavy oven-proof skillet over medium high heat. Score the skin of the duck breasts with a paring knife. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Sear breasts skin side down for several minutes, until skin is brown and crisp. Flip breasts over and sear for a minute or two. Remove skillet from stove and place in preheated oven. Cook until medium rare, about 10 minutes.
- Remove to cutting board and allow to rest. Taste cherry sauce and season with salt and pepper. Slice duck thinly on the diagonal and top with sauce.