Friday, December 14, 2007

More Giftable Sugar

I like making candies and goodies and whatnot, but I have a fear of anything that involves a candy thermometer. That's too much pressure. It means that if I'm off by one of two degrees -- ka plow!! Hot melted sugar explodes all over my kitchen and it's the end of society as we know it. Okay, maybe not. But I'm still intimidated by recipes that call for constant temperature monitoring. Soooo, for the past couple of years I have totally cheated and used Rachael Ray's Five Minute Fudge Wreath recipe to make yummy chocolate treats (and yes, that photo is atrocious). I branched out a bit this year and took my fudge making to the next level. A recipe that called for actual boiling of butter and sugar. I'm getting there . . . I'm getting there.

Cherry Almond Fudge
Adapted from FoodNetwork.com

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup unsalted butter, cut into chunks
  • 1 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds,
  • 1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

Directions:
  • Combine butter, evaporated milk, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a hard boil for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring constantly.
  • Remove from heat. Stir in the chocolate until melted and smooth. Fold in the almonds and cherries. Add vanilla.
  • Pour into an 8 by 8-inch square baking pan. Chill until firm, about 2 to 4 hours. Cut into 12 squares.

No comments:

Loading