Sunday, February 6, 2011

Fleur de me

To put it simply, Longwood was awesome. I met up with about 20 of my closest photo hobbyist friends for a day of learnin' 'bout macros and chattin' 'bout lens. I told Chris I need this now. When he regains consciousness, I'm sure he'll agree.

By the way, if you're wondering what a macro is here is a real definition, but it's generally a very close-up shot. The ones I took wouldn't be considered "true" macros because they're not a 1:1 ratio (I think they're 1:3).

To give you some frame of reference on just how little I knew about, or had played with, macro photos, here is one of my first shots of the day. Please try to contain your yawns:
Big white flower on a big white background. Inspired.


I think I made some pretty good progress and I actually picked up a few more tips and tricks after I shot these:
I think this is my favorite of the day. An unfurling fern that looks like a little baby hand.

Unfurling hibiscus.

Unfurling -- waaiiit a second. Okay, I like unfurling. and this one was taken with extension tubes. They are out of my league. I was all up in this flower's bidness like you wouldn't believe.

Calla lily with a little different post processing.

Dear photo snobs: this is NOT selective coloring. Just a pretty tulip on a bed of dusty millers.

How did a non-flower photo end up  here?

Pretty purple something-or-another with vintagey post processing.

So, that was fun. I didn't know how much I would like macros but they're kind of addictive.





3 comments:

Mrs. Monroe said...

These are beautiful! I was just reading your blog to get recipe ideas and see how it was going back in the old neighborhood, but these are awesome photos!

Rob Monroe said...

Really awesome shots! I need a group of photog phriends around here...

Glinda said...

They are BEAUTIFUL and you are selling yourself way too short there, lady. Told to you straight from the short lady. =D

Loading