Sunday, February 13, 2011

Oatmeal Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies

Colin's little daycare class is having a Valentine's party tomorrow where I'm sure the cuteness will be off the charts. I asked his teacher if we could send cookies instead of cards and she was all for it. I promise I'm not trying to show the other parents up or anything - just taking advantage of the opportunity to try a new cookie recipe and then quickly get the delicious outcome out of the house. The combination of dried cherries and chocolate is one of my favorite because of the balance of tart and sweet.


Oatmeal Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
(Inspired by these, since I am still trying to meet my two Living recipes per month quota, but I ran out of flour and had to improvise with an oatmeal recipe at the last  minute)
Makes 3 dozen cookies.

Ingredients:
  • 2 sticks butter, room temperature
  • 1 c. brown sugar
  • 1/2 c. granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 c. flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 c. quick oats
  • 1 c. dried cherries, chopped
  • 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment and spray with cooking spray.
  2. Cream butter and sugars until smooth. Add egg and vanilla. 
  3. In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in to butter and sugar mixture. Slowly add oatmeal, cherries and chocolate chips. 
  4. Spoon on to baking pans in ping pong size balls, careful not to crowd the pan.
  5. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Those cookies look chewy and chock full of goodness and flavor. Definitely a good version for an oatmeal cookie. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog until tomorrow evening and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-4.html

Elaine said...

Love those oatmeal chocolate chips. The cherries sound like a great addition.

Loading