Thursday, January 5, 2012

Barbecue and Bacon Meatloaf

This picture sucks because it was only at the very last minute that I decided my meatloaf masterpiece required photographic documentation.  And my speedlight batteries were dead. However, it was taken at ISO 5000 (! What what, 7D?!), so yay for awesome low light shooting capabilities. Also, yay for awesome meatloaf with bacon, ugly and unphotogenic as it may be.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Barbecue and Bacon Meatloaf 

Adapted from "Not-So-Basic Meatloaf", based on what I had on hand.  I skipped the bay leaves and extra garlic altogether and I don't think they were missed at all.

Ingredients:
  •  5 strips of bacon, diced
  • 1/2 of a medium onion, finely diced
  • 1 carrot, grated
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
  • 2 cups dry white bread (I used a baquette), diced
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 pound ground turkey (I used dark meat - it's just what they had at MOM's)
  • 1 pound lean beef
  • 1/4 cup barbecue sauce, plus 1 tbsp for the top
  • 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 cup parsley, minced
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
  2. Cook bacon until just crisp in frying pan. Remove to paper towel-lined plate. 
  3. Pour out almost all bacon grease and saute onion, carrot and garlic until onions are translucent and carrots are soft. Set aside to cool.
  4. Meanwhile, put bread in large bowl and cover with milk. Squish together to break up bread and get the milk mostly absorbed. 
  5. Add vegetables, bacon and the rest of the ingredients (except the extra tablespoon of barbecue sauce).  Mix together. 
  6. Form a loaf-ish shape on a foil-lined baking sheet, about 8"x5". Spread remaining barbecue sauce over top. Bake for about an hour, until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Allow to cool a few minutes before serving.

2 comments:

Allison said...

I found your blog through the bump. I wish I had found it before we left DC in July because I think we'd be friends. Or perhaps you could have just taught my kid how to try beets. If not, I'd love to eat that plate myself!

eclemrush said...

Haha! Thanks, Alison! And don't worry - he doesn't actually like beets but he did try them.

Loading