Monday, June 27, 2011

Herbed potato and pea salad

Why didn't anyone ever tell me how tedious it is to shell fresh peas? The food world "oohs" and "ahhhs" over these tiny green pearls but no one mentions how annoying it is to spend 20 minutes shelling a handful of peas. I'll probably lose my foodie cred (if I ever had any), but I'll admit it - next time I'm using frozen. Fresh peas are tasty but too much work. And you're looking at someone who actually enjoys picking crabs. Regardless, this is another great summer side. Just a tiny bit of mayo, which you could probably skip if you are anti-mayo. I actually used vegan mayonnaise (the Peanut has an egg allergy). All the glory is in the fresh herbs anyway, in my opinion.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Herbed potato and pea salad
Inspired by White on Rice Couple & Melissa Clark
Serves 4-6 as a side

Ingredients:
  • 6 medium yukon gold potatoes
  • 3/4 fresh (or frozen! Try frozen!) peas, shelled
  • 2 tbs of a light vinegar (I used rice wine)
  • 2 tbs finely minced vidalia onion
  • 3 tbs whole grain mustard
  • 2 tbs mayonnaise
  • 2 tbs chopped fresh chives
  • 2 tbs fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 tbs chopped fresh basil
  • salt and pepper

Directions:
  1. Bring the potatoes to a boil in salted water. When the potatoes are nearly cooked through (10ish minutes), throw in the peas. Cook for a just a minute or two more, drain and rinse with cold water.
  2. Douse the potatoes (the potatoes end up mostly on top when you drain) with the vinegar. Transfer to a bowl and mix in onion. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
  3. Mix mayo and mustard in small bowl then combine with vegetables. Add fresh herbs, mix and season with salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Loading