Sunday, January 16, 2011

Beans and Greens Soup

It was fortuitous that Smitten Kitchen posted a recipe for chard and white bean stew just as I had a lovely bunch of greens slowly wilting in my vegetable drawer. That recipe served as inspiration, but I streamlined it a bit. This is definitely a quick and simple soup rather than a more complex stew.  I'll be honest with you -- these greens were several days neglected and by the time I used them I couldn't even remember what kind they were. Pretty sure the were chard. Or maybe an unruffled kale? More tender collard? I think any of the above would work, regardless.

Beans and Greens Soup

Ingredients:
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 1 stalk celery, diced
  • 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
  • 1/4 tsp. dried marjoram (or oregano)
  • 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1 bunch (about a pound) greens
  • 2 cans of white beans, rinsed and drained.
Directions:
  1. Heat oil in dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic until almost translucent. Add carrots and celery and cook until tender. 
  2. Add spices to vegetables and stir.
  3. Pour in stock and bring mixture to up to a boil.
  4. Stir in greens and beans. Turn down heat and simmer until greens tender. 
  5. Serve with with bread, cornbread, starch of your choosing.

No comments:

Loading