Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year, New Sauerkraut.

I'll have you know that I composed this entry less than 24 hours before the Washington Post declared sauerkraut, yes - sauerkraut, in for 2011. Does that make me the Sylvia Browne of food trends? I don't know, but I have been predicting big things for whoopie pies for some time now. Take note.

I actually made this for Christmas Eve (what? You don't celebrate the birth of Christ with fermented cabbage?) where I learned from my Pennsylvanian sister-in-law that some folks in her home state believed it brought good luck if eaten on New Year’s Day. Sauerkraut with sausage and apples is a staple on my Granny Anny’s table during any meal in which turkey is involved and it’s nothing like the biting, pungent stuff slopped on ball park hot dogs. It’s salty, sweet and just a tad acidic.


Sauerkraut with Sausage and Apples

Ingredients:

  • ½ package of Polska Kielbasa, sliced (the kind in the grocery store near the lunch meat will do)
  • 1 apple, peeled and sliced (I use Fuji. Perfectly sweet and holds its shape well)
  • 1 package Kosher sauerkraut (not that it will be Kosher for long. What with the sausage and all)
  • ¾ c. apple cider
  • 1 heaping tbs brown sugar
  • Salt and pepper


Directions:

  1. ­­Fry sausage in large skillet with apples until all are nicely browned and fragrant.
  2. Rinse and drain sauerkraut in colander
  3. Add drained kraut to apples and sausage. Add cider, sugar and liberally sprinkle of salt and pepper.
  4. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until cider has reduced. About 20 minutes. At this point, taste and feel free to add more sugar, salt or pepper.
  5. Serve immediately or transfer to a baking dish and heat through in oven before serving.

1 comment:

Kwoo said...

Wow! I'd hate to tell you what we had for dinner last night :)

Loading